Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Walt Whitman's The Force Awakens

I'm so excited about the new Star Wars film that I wanted to express myself in some way.  And since I like to be a bit unusual, here are scenes from the international trailer mixed with quotations from Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass (1855).  The sprawling, searing poem is considered one of the great literary achievements of American history.  I don't know the plot of the movie -- this is just me pairing the images with interesting passages. 

You can watch The Force Awakens trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAUiyeJMFQ

 So here is the poetry, from the page... and the screen.



I celebrate myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to
            you.



Prodigal!  you have given me love! …. therefore I to you
give love!



The whirling and whirling is elemental within me.



Dazzling and tremendous how quick the sunrise would
kill me



Is this then a touch? […]
Flames and ether making a rush for my veins […]
My flesh and blood playing out lightning



Now Lucifer was not dead…. or if he was I am his
            sorrowful and terrible heir […]
I will either destroy him, or he shall release me.



I understand the large hearts of heroes,
The courage of present times and all times



I am given up by traitors; […]
You villain touch!  what are you doing?.... my breath is
tight in its throat



This day before dawn I ascended a hill and looked at the
            crowded heavens



Agonies are one of my changes of garments;
I do not ask the wounded person how he feels…. I
myself become the wounded person



Great are the myths […]
Great are the plunges and throes and triumphs and falls

No comments:

Post a Comment